The Building Regulations require;
- Mandatory Certification by a professional appointed by the Client as an ‘Assigned Certifier’.
- The lodgement of plans, drawings and documents to the Local Authority by the ‘Assigned Certifier’.
- Mandatory Inspection of the Works during the Construction period by the ‘Assigned Certifier’.
- Validation of the documents issued by the local Building Control Authority.
Before work commences on site, the Client must carry out the following under the current legislation;
- Appoint a competent Designer. (This will be your Architect / Chartered Engineer)
- Appoint a competent ‘Assigned Certifier’.
- Appoint a competent Builder.
The Duties of the ‘Assigned Certifier’ are:
- Lodgement of Plans, the Design Certificate, Preliminary Inspecting Plan and Commencement Notice to the relevant Building Control Authority
- Certification at both Design and Completion Stages
- Prepare and implement a Site Inspection Plan
- Carry out mandatory Inspections during the Works and coordinate Inspections by others
- Follow up on non-compliance issues
- Keep and maintain Site Inspection Records
- Respond to the relevant Building Control Authority in relation to Information Requests
- Lodgement of Plans and Documents at Completion Stage to the relevant Building Control Authority